Immigration Law in Korea
Foreigners who wish to stay in Korea shall have a relevant status of stay.
1. Period of stay can be categorized as follows
(1) Short-term stay: 90 days or less
(2) Long-term stay: 91 days or more
(3) Permanent Residence: unlimited period of stay
(4) Foreigners with long-term stay or permanent resident status should complete registration within 90 days of entry.
2. Scope of Activities of Foreigners Staying in Korea
(1) Foreigners are allowed to stay in Korea within the scope of their status and the granted period of stay. One cannot be involved in any political activities unless permitted otherwise.
(2) Foreigners who wish to obtain employment in Korea shall have a relevant status for employment. One should work only in the place reported to the government
(3) To change a company of employment, foreigners shall acquire a prior written approval from the immigration office.
3. Status of Stay That Allows Employment
Temporary Employment (C-4), Professor (E-1), Foreign Language Teaching (E-2), Research (E-3), Technological Guidance (E-4), Profession (E- 5), Arts/Entertainment (E-6), Specially Designated Activities (E-7), Training Employment (E-8), Non-professional Employment (E-9), Labor Aboard (E-10), Residency (F-2), Overseas Koreans(F-4), Permanent Residency (F-5), WorkingHoliday (H-1)
4. Extension of Stay
A foreigner who intends to continue to stay in Korea beyond the permitted period of stay should receive permission for extension of stay.
(1) Application Period
- Application is available from two months before the expiration date of stay. Any vioration of this has a penalty.
(2) How to Apply for Permission for Extension of Stay
One should fill out relevant form in the immigration office.